Friday, May 7, 2010

You're Worried About What?

Of all the things to be upset about in this state, it still amazes me how many one issue (abortion) voters there are out there. Really lady you've never been so upset in your life that candidates aren't focusing their campaigns on eliminating abortion? You really think that's what Michigan's priority is right now?

So I get it. It's an issue that people really get worked up about. Everybody with values that influence how they vote, has an issue that takes the driver's seat every now and then. I get worked up over drug policy. Some people may say that the War on Drugs is a non-issue. I can their point. I just happen to passionate about it.

However, in a state that is pretty much on the bottom of the heap economically and which has been in recession longer than any other state in the nation; I don't see abortion as the driving factor for any rational person to hit up the polls. Really you're going to vote for Andy Dillon because he's supposedly pro-life? Really? I'll be so thrilled knowing that my neighbor can't get an abortion outside of a back alley as I'm paying even higher taxes than I am now.

To me the abortion debate is like the annoying friend that nobody likes yet we still keep them around. It doesn't really affect anybody outside of the emotional arena yet we still categorize it as something relevant to the price of tea.

It's such a gray issue that it should simply be left up to a populous state vote. Let the voters decide for each state whether the citizens should have access to abortion clinics. Let the voters decide whether they want to have abortion procedures subsidized by their tax dollars. Enough is enough with these special interest one issue candidates polluting the campaign trail and their wacky followers. It's bad enough that I have to deal with the uninformed canceling out my vote or voter fraud.

I personally don't believe that abortion should be outlawed. At the same time I worry that a lot of people view it as a form of contraception rather than a last option. Regardless, my pro-choice preferences have no influence at all on my choice for governor. I don't care what they think about abortion. I care what they plan to do to get business back into this state. Hell, I'll go as far as to say that anyone who isn't holding these candidates to the fire on what they plan on doing for MI should stay home come November.

It's frustrating when I see candidates that have the right ideas getting slaughtered by these major special interest groups in this country. I thought Ron Paul was the right man in 2008. He held the opinion that it should be left up to the states to decide. The religious wing of the GOP dominates that party so that's how the chapter was written. The GOP ran Father Time (who ironically is very liberal himself) and consequently lost.

As much as Ron Paul was ridiculed, by his own party during his campaign, it doesn't change the fact that he had the right ideas. Everything he said about the economy collapsing came true. The causes were the accurate. The people to blame were the same people he pointed out during the debates. However he doesn't fit the mold of what the GOP wanted so they decided to sacrifice good ideas for image.

And they wonder why they lose elections...

Until next time...

Peace & Love,

Joe K.








No comments:

Post a Comment